Rural status

To be eligible for scholarships based on regional or remote status, you need to prove that you lived and went to school in a regional or remote area.

You must have moved from that regional or remote area to study at UWA and to have incurred additional costs as a result of that move.

For scholarship purposes the Coursework Scholarships Office normally defines rural as areas considered inner regional, regional, remote or very remote as defined by the Australian Bureau of Statistics'. For coursework scholarships not administered by the Coursework Scholarships Office you should contact the administering body of the relevant scholarship to determine whether or not they utilise a different definition.

Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships are governed by legislation, which defines rural as areas considered inner regional, regional, remote or very remote as defined by the Australian Bureau of Statistics' Australian Standard Geographical Classification - Remoteness Areas (ASGC-RA) 2006.

Year 11 and 12 at a regional or remote school

You need to have completed Year 12 study within four years of starting tertiary study to meet this criterion. If this is not the case, you should consider whether you meet the criterion below.

Not at regional or remote school in Year 11 and 12

You must supply documents demonstrating that your primary residence was regional or remote for at least three of the four years before beginning tertiary study.

Utility invoices, bank statements or other official documents that show your name and the date are acceptable as you must demonstrate your rural status for each year mentioned in your application. Several documents covering the years will be required.

For students attending boarding school for years 11 and 12, a letter from the school principal confirming this status will be acceptable.

Youth Allowance for Rural and Remote Students:

Rural or remote students who wish to receive Youth Allowance, whilst they're studying, must be deemed independent. 

You may be independent if:

  • your parental home is in an inner regional, outer regional, remote or very remote area
  • you need to move away from the parental home to study, and
  • since leaving secondary school, you have:

    1. over an 18 month period, earned 75% or more of Wage Level A of the National Training Wage Schedule included in a modern award, or
    2. for at least 2 years, worked at least 15 hours each week


It also depends on your parents’ income. If you claim in 2016, they must have earned less than $150,000 in the 2014-15 tax year. If their income has changed a lot, we’ll look at the current tax year.
You need to give proof that you meet these requirements.



This Page

Last updated:
Wednesday, 8 November, 2017 12:04 PM