To be eligible to apply for postgraduate research scholarships an applicant must be an Australian citizen, an Australian Permanent Resident or a New Zealand citizen.
An applicant must also:
- have obtained, or expect to obtain at least an upper division second class honours degree or equivalent
- be undertaking or intend to enrol in a master's by research or doctoral degree
- be enrolling as a full-time student. Approval may be given for a part-time award where an applicant is able to demonstrate heavy care commitments or a medical condition which would preclude full-time study
- not have completed a degree at the same level or higher level as the proposed candidature
- not expect to receive another equivalent award, scholarship or salary to undertake the proposed study which is greater than 75 per cent of the stipend rate
- be free to take up a postgraduate award, if offered, by the designated date in the offer letter.
Special approval may be granted on written application for a late commencement date for candidates with unavoidable commitments but any awards offered will lapse if not taken up within the specified time.
Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarships are only awarded to applicants with outstanding academic records.